10 October 2008

A tradition alive

Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!

[TEVYE & PAPAS]
Who, day and night, must scramble for a living,
Feed a wife and children, say his daily prayers?
And who has the right, as master of the house,
To have the final word at home?

The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.
The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.

[GOLDE & MAMAS]
Who must know the way to make a proper home,
A quiet home, a kosher home?
Who must raise the family and run the home,
So Papa's free to read the holy books?

The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!
The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!

[ALIZA]
Who, every week, would eat much Boloco,
Running on the cobblestone to the "Buffalo"?
And who broke her fast, for the last two years,
On this wrap of rice-y, spicy yum?

Alizaaaa, Aliza! Tradition!
Alizaaaa, Aliza! Tradition!

----
While I have developed a nasty addiction to the pork buns at China House on Park Street*, a mezuzzah does not rest too far from the main kitchen of JesseCooks;AlizaLooks. Since yesterday was Yom Kippur, Jesse and I fasted. If you knew me in my past life in Cambridge, you would know that my previous food addiction was the Buffalo wraps at Boloco. I ate at least one every week. They consisted of a tortilla wrap, chopped chicken, white rice, spicy buffalo sauce and chunky blue cheese dressing. This tasty goodness wrapped in aluminum foil was my beacon of light when studies got tough. Or even if studies were easy. Or even if I had already gorged myself in the dining hall.

When I left the east, I claimed to miss my family and friends. But really, I missed Boloco.

To make it even worse, I had added it onto the ancient Jewish tradition of breaking fast. Instead of munching on bagels and lox at sundown, I would bolt to Boloco and let the spicy juices run slowly (okay, quickly) into my empty, repented stomach. I didn't know what I was going to do yesterday!!!

Jesse swooped in an saved the day. We went to the supermarket and he purchased tortilla wraps, chicken, white rice, spicy buffalo sauce and chunky blue cheese dressing. And JESSE MADE ME THE BUFFALO TO BREAK MY FAST. He even wrapped it in aluminum foil so I could relive my boisterous Boloco days.

It was perfect. Well, near perfect. The tortilla wrap had a funky spice flavor which reminded me that this wasn't indeed the real deal. But it was so good that I actually cried. I plan to make Jesse cook this for me once a week, so I can keep up my Boloco appetite for my trip to Cambridge in November.

*For my birthday next month, I have requested 22 of these pork buns, each with a candle in it. If this materializes, I will be one fat, happy lady.

1 comment:

Bolopep said...

Aliza, a google alert brought me to your post... and while i'm sure not intended for us, you have just made the day of nearly 300 Boloco faithfuls who work every day to make that Buffalo beauty our own internal favorite not to mention yours and many others! When you come to Boston in November, don't forget to email me first with your Boloco Card # (or your mailing address if you don't have one) and we'll make sure you and some friends are our guests of honor. Thank you for making us feel like what we do is special.
I hope to hear from you
John Pepper
CEO & Co-Founder
buzz@boloco.com